Monday, September 16, 2013

TWO MINUTES: BANNED WORDS AND PHRASES


In the past few weeks I've had to recite my disclaimer during almost every live broadcast of my show. While I don't mind informing new listeners and reminding regulars, it still feels tedious at times to interrupt the flow of conversation to explain it when innocent folks violate the rules and get penalized on air.

For the uninitiated, here is a list of the top 4 terms which are major infractions on my show:


#1 -  the word "literally"



"literally" - I have been waging a holy jihad against the improper use of the word "literally" for years. I refuse to acknowledge any addendum to Webster's definition. Literally DOES NOT mean figuratively. Period. I also believe this word is over used in general, whether it is used properly or not. Just stop.


#2 - Shout Outs!

"Shout Outs!" - 89 year old women give shout outs. I don't. Neither should you. Until a better alternative arises, go with "BIg Ups!" or "Props!"


#3 - "in terms of"


"in terms of" (idiom): regarding something; concerning something. I don't know what to do in terms of John's problem. Now, in terms of your proposal, don't you think you're asking for too much? See also: BULL SHIT NONSENSE FILLER FOR TALKING HEADS TO USE TO PUNCTUATE THEIR EMPTY RHETORICAL SOUNDBITES ON CABLE NEWS


4 - "at the end of the day"


"at the end of the day" (informal idiom): something that you say before you say what you believe to be the most important fact of a situation. Sure we missed our best player but at the end of the day, John, we just didn't play well enough to win the game. At the end of the day, what matters is that you're safe.
See also: BURN HIPSTER SCUM THIS IS A TRITE CLICHE THAT MUST DIE A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH


This is a work in progress. More banned terms will be added and updated as necessary.....


No comments:

Post a Comment